I am Anna Rohrs, a photographer serving the greater Des Moines area as well as Cedar Falls, Waterloo, the greater Cedar Valley, Ames and throughout Iowa striving to capture beautiful moments of your unique story, specifically focusing on seniors, families and weddings.
I photograph with an innovative, authentic and captivating style, aiming to provide a mix of photojournalistic, candid shots along with relaxed, natural portraits. I enjoy the outdoors and try to take advantage of using natural light with my photography any time I can.
A few facts about me:
• I graduated from Grand View College with a Graphic Journalism major and Photography minor.
• I have a loving & supportive husband who I met in college who can watch sports all day (especially the Yankees) and enjoys coaching our son in a variety of sports.
• My husband and I have a boy (born in Oct. 2014) and girl (born in June 2017) who keep us on our toes! Our son enjoys any and every sport and playing Ken Griffey Jr. on Super Nintendo and our daughter is into gymnastics, dance and playing “Mom” with all her little dollies.
How the photography journey began…
Throughout high school, I dabbled in photography during my time writing articles and being a sports editor for the Cedar Falls Tiger Hi-Line.
The summer before my freshman year of college was a defining moment in my photography journey, when I made a significant investment of $1,000 dollars on my very first camera. I knew if I was going to pursue a minor in photography, I’d need a decent camera, so I went with a canon digital rebel, thanks to the advice of my soon-to-be photography professor.
In college, I had a variety of opportunities to hone my photography skills, but one of my favorite semesters was having the chance to shadow a photographer with the Des Moines Register where I was able to see a photographer in action “in the real world”. I love photojournalism and I definitely think the experience taught me a lot, like working to find a creative approach even with a simple assignment.
Taking photos of people seemed to be an area I gravitated toward in college and I started taking on a few sessions here and there to build my portfolio. After charging next to nothing, I realized I had to take myself seriously as a professional if I wanted other people to do the same.
Making it legit…
I invested in better equipment, took all the necessary legal steps and put together a business plan to turn the hobby into a profession. I launched Inspired Focus Photography in 2010 with website, facebook page and all. I wanted to include graphic design in my business, so I changed the name to Inspired Focus Photo & Design in the Fall of 2011.
In December, 2011, my husband got a job in Waterloo, so we moved to the Cedar Valley from Des Moines. I grew up in Cedar Falls, so while I was happy to move back to my roots, I knew it would take some time to grow a new clientele base with my business and let people know I existed.
Continuing the growth…
I’ve learned a lot along the way and strive to keep growing as a photographer and business owner.
With my photography, I try to find a happy medium by capturing both traditional and candid-style images. I’m inspired by the beauty of God’s creation, the work of other professionals in the field and simply living in the moment, artistically capturing the world as I see it.
I love capturing people’s story, knowing that the images will provide some sweet memories they will be able to look back on for years down the road.
More facts about me… I enjoy:
• Being outside
• Chick-fil-a Cookies & Cream Shakes
• Boating & waterskiing [wish I did that more often]
• Snow-skiing & snowboarding [still gotta convince my husband to try it out sometime]
• Survivor [tried out for the show once, actually, but the producers didn’t think I’d be conniving enough… haha-j/k. I didn’t make it past the 1st round though.]
• Playing piano & guitar
• Coffee shops
• Sunsets [on the bucket list is photographing one in Hawaii]
• My life verse is: “Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord purpose that prevails.” – Proverbs 19:21
To see me live, check out the video below.
This is me in action during an engagement session in Cedar Falls, IA including interviews from me and the couple. I wanted to provide people a visual idea of who they’re hiring with Inspired Focus Photo & Design and what goes on behind the lens.